Excellent IT Leadership
An In-Person course delivered by IT Leaders.
This course is delivered at several locations at regular intervals. Please check with us for available schedules.
Excellent IT Leadership is first and foremost a practical and interactive course. It combines our own experience with that of over 1,000 clients and delegates and has identified the most valuable lessons on the road to delivering exceptional IT leadership. Delegate feedback has allowed us to tune the course, delivering a proven combination of models and guidelines, supported by carefully designed, enjoyable and interactive role plays, case studies and team exercises.
Introduction to Excellent IT Leadership
The course starts with introductions and confirmation of
• What makes an IT leader?
• Five key leadership skills
Daniel Goleman’s model of emotional intelligence emphasizes personal leadership — our ability to understand ourselves and achieve our best.
• How leaders optimize their time and activity
• Secrets of successful CIOs
• Leadership opportunities for IT managers
• Building and maintaining reputation
• Developing a personal brand
We use a proven leadership model to help IT managers identify their leadership and management style and use it effectively. The model looks at how we make decisions and assimilate information, and we show how to use it as a highly effective tool of persuasion and influence.
• Styles of leadership
• How we assess situations
• How we make decisions
• Understanding your leadership profile
• Recognizing leadership styles in others
Peer leadership — building influence
IT is at the heart of all business and has a key role to play in many of the key corporate and political decisions. Using the work from day 2, we look at how to build strong business relationships in the business and increase our circle of influence.
• Techniques for building influence
• Adapting your style to influence others
• Leadership and motivation
• Authentic leadership — acting with integrity
Peer leadership — corporate politics
This module examines the effect of corporate politics on IT success, using guidelines from Dr Robina Chatham’s book, “Corporate Politics for IT Managers.” Delegates learn specific techniques to raise their profile and personal brand.
• Corporate politics — the inside track • Developing successful networks
• A model for political success
• Growing your sphere of influence
• A political game
• Case study ‘ The Runaway Project’
Team leadership profiles
Part one of our team leadership module examines how to build effective teams based on a knowledge of the team’s behaviors and leadership profiles.
• Team leadership styles
• Assessing your team’s profile
• Identifying team strengths and weaknesses
• Structuring the I T organization
• Maximizing performance
World Class IT teams
Our “World class IT” model has been 5 years in the making, and identifies the key stages in the development of top performing IT teams.
• The formula for world class I T
• Selecting and motivating top I T talent
• Creating and fostering team spirit
• SFI A — The skills framework for I T
• Coaching and developing staff in real time
• Identifying and resolving team problems
IT leaders need to be at the forefront of technical innovation. Day 4 takes delegates through the technology innovation process with techniques for fostering creativity, brainstorming
new ideas and plotting technology vision.
• The process of innovation
• Creating a culture of innovation
• Developing a creative mindset
• Innovating with business stakeholders
• The innovation workshop
• Identifying problems and generating ideas
• The importance of technology in innovation
• Case study ‘Innovating in industry’
• Creating a vision for your IT organization
• Plotting a technology roadmap
• Predicting the business impact of technology
IT to business alignment — reality
Our IT to business alignment model is a proven process for delivering business results and enhancing the perception of IT.
• A process model for IT to business alignment
• Alignment through good governance
• Technology governance structures
• Using governance to improve results
• Case examples of governance models
IT to business alignment — perception
• Managing and enhancing I T perception
• Alignment through people
• Creating a campaign of influence
• The importance of I T’ s brand
• Aligning reality and perception
• Bringing it all together — a business alignment game
This module focuses on corporate leadership and the high level role of senior IT executives.It is based on research and interviews with CIOs and technology leaders from around the world.
• I T leaders at board level
• The responsibilities of I T corporate leadership
• What CEOs look for in their CIOs
• The changing role of the CIO
• A role model for corporate IT leadership
• The plan going forward
• I T Leaders network
• Wrap up (typically 3 p.m.)
IT Leaders provides world class leadership training and coaching based on many years of experience from helping a broad range of clients. Feedback from our courses is very positive — our average overall feedback score is over 90%. Here is some of the feedback we have received from recent delegates:
“A superb course”
“An excellent course presented in a practical and interactive way”
“Very well presented and very good structure”
Ernst & Young
“An excellent program based on real life experience”
“The best course in the market”
“Excellent course. Unique in market and presented by experienced professionals with know-how”
Allen & Overy
“A very good program”
“Really good and well presented”
“Has had an enormous impact on my outlook and confidence to deal with leadership situations”
“Straight to the point”
“Really great.The amount of real life experience is the most valuable part to back up the theory”
|Excellent IT Leadership||1 day, 16 hours|
No Reviews found for this course.