Major Emergency Management
An In-Person Training Course by Esanda.
In-House sessions are available upon request.
In the aftermath of the Piper Alpha disaster in the North Sea, it was realised that emergency management required additional skills to those practised in day-to-day operational management. In the Cullen report, which followed on from the Piper Alpha enquiry, a series of recommendations were made to address the problems inherent in assuming that persons managing operations were automatically competent to manage emergencies. As a result, formal emergency management competency training and assessment of offshore platform and onshore plant managers became mandatory for all companies in the North Sea and many others around the world. This course is designed to ensure that relevant personnel become aware of and understand all of the requirements for major emergency management (MEM) to OPITO standards.
The Course Is Designed For:
All persons with responsibility for managing emergencies.
The main objectives of this course are to ensure that:
- Relevant personnel understand the major differences between operational and emergency management
- ER personnel are prepared to manage emergencies at all times
- Understand the dangers of emergency scenario escalation, and the preventative steps required
- RER managers can quickly identify the differing levels of emergencies, and react in an appropriate manner
- Purposeful check-lists and plans are developed on-site, covering all potential emergency situations
- The physiological and psychological aspects of emergency management are clearly understood, and learn about self-control measures
- ER managers clearly understand the importance of good communications skills
- Credible emergency scenarios are in place for on-site exercises
- The importance of developing emergency response plans and practising scenarios regularly and frequently is recognised
– Member of Institute of Petroleum
– Shell UK Offshore Installation Manager qualifications certificate
– Fully SQA / OPITO accredited D32/33/34 Trainer/Assessor & Verifier (SQA No. 977095166)
38 years oil and industry experience, primarily 22 years with Shell (UK) Ltd as Offshore Installation Manager, with £34 million budget responsibility, reporting directly to Senior Management, and latterly with Kellogg Brown & Root and Sasol (South Africa) as Operations Support Manager, Field Operations Manager (FOM) and Training Manager.
Ron has as a sound knowledge of drilling, oil & gas operations on land based, floating, fixed platforms & plants. This includes Safety Management, in Drilling, Well Servicing, Inspection, Audit, Training and Assessment expertise to ISO 9000 (2002) standards and ISO 14001.
Experienced upstream oil and gas industry training consultant in Operations and Emergency Management, with full SQA/OPITO accreditation as D32/33/34 competency assessor & verifier.
Trained and assessed Plant Managers, Offshore Installation Managers, Control Room Operators and other drilling and operational personnel in Safety and Emergency Management to full OPITO standards in the UK and at remote overseas locations. Responsible for the development, planning, management, coordination and implementation of major O&M Training/Competency Assessment systems at oil and gas plants in Russia, Egypt, Bangladesh and Mozambique.
Levels of Emergency and Escalation
Emergency Management Team (EMT)
Emergency Response (ER)
Emergency Response Plan
ER Accountabilities and Responsibilities
Accounting for Personnel
|Major Emergency Management||1 day, 11 hours|
No Reviews found for this course.